Thursday, November 20, 2008

Lady Cat Lindsay G.





Lindsay G. living her dancing dream with Charlotte Lady Cats

By KEVIN TRAVIS, Sports Editor




Lindsay G. has an amazing smile. In fact, it’s so good that she won “Best Smile” in a poll on the Charlotte Bobcats web site.

Now, the first-year Charlotte Lady Cat is putting smiles on fans attending Bobcats games.

“There are a lot of great things about being a Lady Cat,” said Lindsay G. (last names aren’t permitted because of Lady Cat policy).

“I think the best part is the feeling I get right before we take the floor to perform. Hearing the crowd cheer makes me appreciate all of the hard work and progress I’ve made in my dancing career, as well as knowing that I am doing what I absolutely love.”

Lindsay, a graduate of East Carolina University, is a former ECU Dance Team member. The 24-year-old said she enjoyed performing in front of Pirates fans at basketball, football and baseball games.

“They are all so different when it comes to crowd response,” she said. “Dancing for basketball has always had my heart. It is much more personal and the crowd really gets involved.

“There is nothing better than to cheer in front of thousands of fans and know that you are representing a great organization and team. The ECU dance team was introduced to baseball and football my junior and senior year. I did enjoy them both as well. Dancing on the dugouts was a very interesting experience. It was so new to the team, but we had a great time.”

Lindsay is the second former ECU Dance Team member to join the Lady Cat squad, giving the orange, black, blue, silver and white Bobcats a purple-and-gold feel.

Jenn W. is in her second year with the Lady Cats. Lindsay said it’s comforting having a former ECU teammate on the team.

“She’s been great with helping me adjust to this new lifestyle,” Lindsay said. “It is so different from a collegiate dance team, and I know that having her dance with me has made me feel at home since we danced for four years together at ECU.”

Brandii McCoy, Lady Cats Director and Choreographer, said Lindsay has made a positive and immediate impact with the fans.

“Lindsay is quickly becoming a crowd favorite,” McCoy said. “Lindsay represents the Lady Cats and the Bobcats organization beautifully as a talented dancer, great team player and positive role model in our community.”

McCoy said the former ECU dance team members are an asset to the squad.

“After seeing Jenn win the fan vote for best Lady Cat picture in our bracket tournament last year, I think ECU fans should be proud that two of their own are dancing in the NBA,” McCoy said. “If any of the other ECU Pure Gold dancers are like Lindsay and Jenn, send them our way after they graduate.”

Lindsay competed against some 200 participants to earn a roster spot. There were three cuts in all, and 21 girls made the team. While she admitted to some nervousness, Lindsay was also confident about making the team.

“I’m not going to lie, I definitely had some nerves going into it because I was unsure of what to expect,” she said. “I was also confident because of my previous dance experience.”

Lindsay began dancing at the age of 3 at the Pegge Lee School of Dance in Concord. She took tap, ballet and jazz for 15 years. Lindsay cheered in middle school and high school before landing on the ECU dance team.

Along with having to learn various dance routines for the Bobcats games, each dancer must stay in tip-top shape.

Lindsay said all the hard work is worth it, especially when it comes to performing in front of thousands of fans.

“The feeling is indescribable,” she said. “Cheering and leading the fans really makes me happy, along with having a passion for dance. Knowing that I am representing a wonderful and respected team makes me so proud to say that I am a Lady Cat. When I am out on the court, I know that this is what I am meant to do.”

The fans seem to appreciate Lindsay just as much as she appreciates them.

“The fans love what the Lady Cats do for our organization,” she said. “We always are very welcomed by them. I know that they respect and appreciate our hard work.

“We do sign autographs at the beginning of the game. It makes me feel good when children come up to me and want my autograph. I remember when I was a child getting the Charlotte Honeybees autograph and how it made a difference in my life. I will never forget that.”

Lindsay and the rest of the Lady Cats do much more than just perform at games. The Lady Cats take part in hundreds of events and appearances all over the Charlotte region.

“Anything from school to charity events, we are there helping the community,” Lindsay said. “(Being a Lady Cat) has been an incredible experience. I’ve dreamed of being an NBA dancer my whole life, and now I’m doing it. It feels great.”

It all gives Lindsay a chance to flash that award-winning smile.

No comments: